Differences Between Jardiance and Metformin
Treating diabetes becomes easier with the use of different medications available today. Two of the major medications used are Jardiance (empagliflozin) and Glucophage (metformin). These medications have a common purpose, and that is to control and better manage diabetes.
While these two major medicines play a vital role to people with the illness, their differences and distinction are also necessary for recognition. Consider the following:
- Jardiance works by lowering the blood sugar levels of people with the illness. However, it can also lead to yeast infection.
- Metformin functions by controlling the blood sugar levels of people with the illness. It is the go-to medicine for many diabetics. However, one of its side effects is severe stomach aches.
Some of the major advantages of consuming Jardiance are:
- Lowers blood glucose levels
- Can also help in losing weight
- Prevents stroke and other health-related problems
Some of the major advantages of consuming Metformin are:
- Controls blood sugar levels
- Reduces someone’s risk of having more health complications
- Rarely triggers hypoglycemia
- In terms of pricing, Jardiance is more expensive since it has no generic version. It can also cause dehydration.
- Metformin, on the other hand, can cause different side effects, such as stomach aches, diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting. If diabetics have been diagnosed with kidney problems, this medication is not good medicine for them.
- Jardiance is only used in treating type 2 diabetes.
- Metformin is used for different treatment purposes, such as type 2 diabetes, diabetes prevention, and obesity associated with high insulin.
- Jardiance is only available in its pill form.
- Metformin can be taken as a pill, extended-release pill, and solution.
In terms of their cost and pricing, Jardiance is more costly and compared to Metformin. It means that Metformin is more cost-effective. However, the right medicine to consume will still depend on the doctor’s assessment. Given that idea, you should still consider the amount of money you will spend on buying your medication.