Diabetes management should already be an easy task because of the availability of medications in the market today. Part of managing this condition is monitoring one’s blood sugar levels, making sure it will not surge to a higher range or fall rigorously to a lower extent.
For individuals who have been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes, it is their everyday target to maintain normal blood glucose levels. Since the two diagnoses can become chronic, it can lead to different health complications. That is why, aside from monitoring the levels, it is also necessary to only eat and consume what’s best for them and their condition.
The availability of healthy foods and practicing proper exercise help in maintaining the blood sugar’s condition. Aside from that, it reduces a diabetic individual’s risk of acquiring type 2 diabetes. However, if this certain type of diabetes occurs, it can lead to a more serious health dilemma, which can be a very daunting concern for both the healthcare professional and the patient.
Obesity is associated with type 2 diabetes. When someone has consumed too many carbohydrates, an excessive amount of fat is stored in the body. Other than carbohydrates, consuming foods that are rich in calories, unhealthy fats, and sugar can add more to the weight of an individual, leading to obesity.
When someone is diagnosed with obesity, the person has an increased risk of having health problems. These problems include diabetes, high blood pressure or hypertension, cancers, and heart disease.
Aside from consuming carbs-rich foods or snacks, drinking beverages that have high sugar content can also increase someone’s chances of having diabetes. However, there are other types of drinks that help you better manage your condition, especially your weight. One of these drinks is diet soda.
Diet sodas are considered as substitute drinks to sugary beverages. Why is this so? Since diet sodas only contain a low amount of sugar and calories, they do not necessarily cause a surge in blood sugar levels. In fact, 99 percent of its total beverage content is water. Its calories amount ranges from 5 – 10. Add to that its low carbohydrate serving at 1 gram.
While this is good news for diabetic people, it is also important to know that diet sodas have the type of ingredient that can still contribute to their unsteady blood glucose condition, and that ingredient is artificial sweeteners.
Possible risks of drinking diet sodas
While drinking diet soda is a good alternative for many tasty beverages, there is always that risk in doing so. Consider the following:
- Diet sodas contain artificial flavors, acids, caffeine, coloring agents, and preservatives. These ingredients are not so healthy as they can cause minor illnesses.
- There are little to no nutrients in diet sodas. That makes the beverage just a plain drink for many.
- Other than diet sodas, fruit juices can also be good substitutes. However, limiting consumption of fruit juices is a must as it has high sugar content.
- Diet sodas are also associated with carbonated drinks. Again, consumption involving carbonated beverages should be limited as it can cause bone fractures, according to a study.
- Excessive consumption of diet sodas can increase someone’s risk of developing diabetes. That is why it is so important to monitor the amount of food and drink consumed in a day.
- Avoid drinking too much diet sodas as it can lead to nutrient deficiency. As mentioned, there is little to no nutrient in diet sodas. Aim for beverages that have been produced with the right number of vitamins and minerals.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Drinking Diet Sodas
Understand the following pros and cons of drinking diet sodas.
- Compared to a regular soda, diet sodas have fewer carbohydrates. That is why it is considered safer than regular sodas.
- If you are diabetic, you don’t have to worry about your blood glucose levels as diet sodas do not have a high sugar range.
- In terms of calories intake, diet sodas also have a few amounts, making the beverage safer and harmless.
- As mentioned, there are little to no carbohydrates or calories in diet sodas. However, this kind of beverage has no nutrients.
- It contains additives that can be harmful to the body.
- Too much consumption of diet sodas can still lead to weight gain or obesity. When this occurs, different health complications are very likely to happen.
List of drinks/beverages you can consume if you have diabetes:
Monitoring your blood sugar levels depends on the foods and drinks you consume on a daily basis. here are some of the most recommended drinks or beverages that you can safely consume if you are diagnosed with diabetes.
Of course, nothing beats your regular drink to stay hydrated and healthy. Water is the best and healthiest option if you are diagnosed with diabetes mellitus. Aside from being the go-through drink, it will not increase the levels of your blood glucose.
Whether it be black, herbal, or green tea, you can rest assure that consuming this type of drink can have a positive impact on your health. If you haven’t known yet, teas are a good treatment option for people with high blood pressure.
If there is a type of juice that you need to consume in a very healthy manner, that would be vegetable juice. Vegetables are a rich source of vitamins and minerals that diabetic individuals need to stay healthy and functioning.
After being diagnosed with diabetes, your daily life habits can change drastically. One of these habits is your lifestyle. Managing diabetes becomes a part of your daily activities, making sure that your blood glucose levels are maintained and do not increase. During these times, it is very important to monitor the food and drinks you consume as it plays a vital role in your health.