There are a lot of superfoods that you can choose from and consume regularly despite having diabetes. Note that even when you are diagnosed with the said condition, you can still enjoy savory and delicious foods, as long as they do not contribute to the levels of the body’s blood sugar.
After a diabetes diagnosis, your lifestyle will likely change, including the food you used to eat. While this can be overwhelming and challenging, following the instructions provided by your healthcare professional will help you in observing proper diabetes management.
One of the superfoods proven to be safe for diabetic individuals is almond milk. Made from almonds, this plant-based milk contains a lot of nutrients and yields different medical benefits. Almond milk joined the ranks of soymilk and other plant-based milk that are verified effective and safe for individuals who have been suffering from the hostile impact of diabetes.
Alongside other superfoods or healthy beverages, there is a set of nutritional properties that almonds possess. Consider the following:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B-6
What are the benefits of drinking almond milk? Consider the following factors that best explain why consuming this plant-based milk is beneficial and healthful for you.
- It helps in controlling blood sugar levels – Individuals who have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes can control and manage their blood glucose levels better when they consume almond milk regularly. The said beverage is also beneficial for people who are tagged with prediabetes since it prevents the blood sugar levels from spiking and increasing drastically leading to diabetes mellitus.
- It improves heart health – Since diabetes is known to cause heart disease, consuming enough amount of almond milk on a regular basis can prevent the disease from happening. It improves heart health as almonds contain antioxidants, necessary in fighting against free radicals that cause any heart condition. It is also known to have anti-inflammatory properties.
- It manages weight – For individuals who have been diagnosed with diabetes, weight management is necessary for them to uphold. Since obesity is known to be the main reason for diabetes acquisition, preventing it in the first place is significant in preventing high blood sugar levels. As mentioned, almonds contain protein and fiber. Once a diabetic person consumes something containing these nutrients, they become full instantly and will not be able to consume more to add to their blood sugar levels.
- It is rich in magnesium – One of the many micronutrients of almonds is magnesium. It has been suggested by medical experts that people who have low magnesium levels in their bodies will increase their chances of having diabetes. That is why consuming almonds can increase their magnesium levels and help them in preventing having high levels of blood glucose.
- It prevents hypertension – Aside from preventing the development of high blood sugar levels, the presence of abundant magnesium also inhibits hypertension or high blood pressure. It protects any individual from acquiring complications, such as hypertension.
- It eliminates your cravings – Diabetic individuals tend to eat a lot when they have cravings. This will only contribute to their condition and will likely cause it to go severe. Eating almonds, however, can eliminate their cravings as their properties are enough to satisfy their palate.
Because of the many health benefits and medical advantages of almond milk, it becomes a good and safe food to consume for diabetic individuals. If you wish to prefer almonds as snacks, you are free to do so as it provides the right nutrients that your body needs.
Aside from almonds, there are other nut varieties that you can enjoy. These varieties include peanuts, pistachios, and walnuts. Furthermore, during your diabetes management, ensure that you are doing so in accordance with your healthcare professional’s advice. Always report your progress and seek more medical instructions to better manage and control your condition.