An Overview of Diabetes
When it comes to the blood sugar levels of the body, maintaining it on a normal range is a necessary undertaking, especially for those who have been diagnosed with diabetes. Since this condition can cause serious medical complications, providing the needed treatment should be immediate. Aside from preventing other diseases from happening, the treatment helps the body in stabilizing its levels of blood glucose.
One of the major treatments used for diabetes is insulin medications. When diabetes occurs, the body is not able to produce enough insulin to balance the amount of sugar that the body takes. Through insulin medications, the body’s blood sugar state is controlled and managed properly.
Aside from using insulin as the most recommended form of diabetes medication, there are other sorts that are advantageous enough in managing diabetes. Some of these are in the form of fruits, vegetables, a daily meal, and even spices. Who would expect that a type of spice, such as turmeric, can be beneficial in a diabetes regimen?
What is Turmeric?
Usually seen in an Asian kitchen, this amazing spice is cultivated and processed from the roots of what is called Curcuma longa. Turmeric powder is a form of spice used in providing an aromatic and earthy fragrance to many cuisines. It is characterized by its warm and bitter-like taste. It also has a little touch of black pepper flavor. Its pungent smell is what makes it the main ingredient in Indian curries. It appears as yellow or orange in color.
For many years, Turmeric has been recognized for its medical advantages towards diabetic individuals. It is known to deliver many healthful benefits, especially in medical cases involving the body’s blood glucose. This spice’s potent properties enable the blood sugar to remain controlled and stabilized. In other words, it is an effective seasoning or zest that helps diabetic people eat normally and safely, without the worry of surging or deeply lowered blood sugar levels.
A lot of researches have already concluded the significance of turmeric in managing the glucose level of the body. It helps improve insulin sensitivity, which is necessary for controlling the rise or shrinkage of the body’s levels of blood sugar. Moreover, its active component makes the powder more effective.
Turmeric’s Active Component – Curcumin
Curcumin is turmeric’s active component or ingredient. It essentially is the reason why turmeric appears beautiful and appealing. This ingredient is highly known for its capacity in preventing type 2 diabetes. It can alleviate the associated symptoms of the said condition and disallow it from going chronic. It prevents other health complications from emerging.
Aside from its medicinal properties towards diabetes, curcumin is also a good alternative in managing inflammatory and oxidative conditions. It also helps in alleviating episodes of anxiety and depression. It has high beneficial functions toward arthritis and muscle soreness. It is basically a single compound dressed with many health benefits.
Benefits and Medical Advantages of Turmeric
Turmeric is often tagged as a superfood because of its many health benefits. Discover the advantages and health assistance that this superfood can give to your body.
- It eases depression. Aside from being a spice, turmeric is highly capable of alleviating episodes of depression or anxiety. It assists any form of antidepressants by boosting and improving their functions.
- It fights viral infection. Warm and comforting turmeric tea is believed to mitigate symptoms of viral infection. It is noted to have potent properties in fighting off viral impurities.
- It keeps the blood glucose condition steady. One of the major types of diabetes is type 2 diabetes. When a mixture of turmeric supplements is administered, diabetes can be prevented.
- It prevents heart attack. One of the many complications of diabetes is heart disease. It is usually caused by high cholesterol levels. It is said that turmeric is capable of lowering LDL or bad cholesterol.
- It is a good treatment for arthritis. Its natural component, curcumin, has the ability to prevent episodes of arthritis attacks. It can alleviate symptoms, such as severe pain in the joints, inflammation, and muscle stiffness.
- It mitigates headaches. Turmeric is a good medical remedy for those who experience headaches. For those who feel intense pain or annoyance in their head, such as migraine, this spice can ease the agonizing pain caused by the condition.
- It can solve skin problems. Acne causes some of the major skin problems today. Turmeric is said to have dermal benefits to those who experience skin outbreaks, such as pimples and skin blemishes.
Risk Factors and Precautions
While taking turmeric is noted to be safe for our health, its active ingredient curcumin can yield a series of adverse reactions when consumed inappropriately. When using turmeric, make sure that you are not abusing it. If you fail to do so, you will have to experience the following:
- Episodes of nausea and vomiting
- Health concerns involving the digestive system
- Recurrent diarrhea
In some cases, ingesting too much of this spice can affect the liver. So, use this superfood moderately. Once used properly, turmeric is safe and good for diabetes.
How to use Turmeric safely?
In using the supplement form of Turmeric, ensure that you are following the safety guidelines and instructions provided with it. Make sure that you are only taking small doses of this supplement to avoid overdose. Simply said, do what your healthcare professional will tell you after recommending this form of treatment.
In terms of cooking, make sure that you do not apply extra heat when mixing turmeric powder. One smart approach to get all its benefits is by pairing this powder with oil. Moreover, only apply turmeric when it’s needed.
Other forms of diabetes management
Apart from utilizing the benefits of turmeric, there are other ways you can manage your diabetes. The first option would be maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Part of this aspect is only eating what’s good for you, exercising daily, and following your regular insulin treatment.
Follow your healthcare professional’s advice in maintaining normal blood sugar levels. Only consume healthy foods, such as fruits, grains, and vegetables. Do these, and you will have a functional body where any form of medical condition cannot harm and colonize you.