How to check sugar level at home? Diabetes is a long-term disease and a metabolic condition in which the body is unable to produce or use enough insulin. This condition leads to hyperglycemia or high blood sugar levels. Without proper treatment, complications such as cardiovascular problems, stroke, eye infection, nerve damage, and kidney disease can emerge.
To prevent these complications and to better manage diabetes, blood sugar monitoring is necessary. But what are the types of monitoring tests that people with diabetes can do in their homes? Here are different ways on how to check sugar level at home.
Blood Glucose Meter – A blood glucose meter is the most common method of checking blood sugar levels. Aside from its easy application, its results are instant and accurate. The steps are as follows:
- Wash your hands first.
- Insert one testing strip into the glucose monitor.
- Prick your finger using a small, sharp needle (lancet).
- Put a drop of blood on the test strip.
- Wait for the meter to show your blood sugar levels.
- Record the test result.
Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) – This method involves the use of a tiny sensor inserted under your skin, typically in the abdomen. CGM provides real-time glucose readings, helping you monitor your blood sugar levels without blood tests. The steps include:
- Insert a small sensor into your abdomen with a cannula (tiny plastic tube).
- Use an adhesive patch to hold the sensor in place.
- Record your daily glucose readings.
- Replace the sensor every 7 to 14 days.
Freestyle Libre – If you want a more discreet approach to blood sugar monitor, Freestyle Libre is your best option. Unlike a blood glucose meter, this method will not require you to prick your finger. The steps are as follows:
- Attach the blood sugar sensor to the back of your upper arm with the device’s applicator.
- Scan the sensor to check your blood sugar level using a reader.
- View your current glucose reading and keep a record.
Among these methods, the blood glucose meter is the most commonly prescribed. However, before using any of these devices, seek assistance and guidance on how to use them properly. Finally, be cautious about your blood sugar levels. If it rises or falls beyond normal, then seek immediate help.