Is cantaloupe good for diabetics? As a diabetic, we must know that not all fruits are safe to consume when you have diabetes. Fruits contain carbohydrates that quickly affect your blood sugar. Thankfully, there are fruit varieties that people with diabetes can enjoy without the risk of a blood sugar spike. One of these fruits is cantaloupe. Learn the health benefits of cantaloupes in people with varying blood glucose levels.
Cantaloupes can be highly beneficial and refreshing during summers because of their high-water content and nutritional properties. This fruit has two varieties, namely North American and European cantaloupe. Regardless of the type, cantaloupes are safe and highly nutritious for people with diabetes.
Cantaloupes contain the following nutrients. Although it contains 90% water, it is also rich in other nutrients. These are as follows:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
Glycemic Index and Load
The GI or glycemic index indicates how consuming a particular food affects blood sugar levels. It follows a system that ranks any food on a scale from 1 to 100. Meanwhile, the glycemic load provides a more accurate picture of how the food impacts your blood glucose. The glycemic load tells how high could your blood sugar can rise right after eating the food.
The glycemic index of cantaloupes is 65. This GI score is only medium; however, cantaloupes can be harmful if taken regularly. Their glycemic load is low, which is only 4. This score makes cantaloupes safe for individuals with diabetes to eat since they do not contribute to a blood sugar spike.
What are the benefits of cantaloupes to people with diabetes?
- It prevents dehydration – One of the common problems that people with diabetes encounter is dehydration. As the kidney secretes urine to clear excess sugar from the body, it reduces the quantity of water in the body. Since this particular fruit variety has a massive 90% water content, it helps significantly in the rehydration process.
- It helps manage blood glucose levels – Blood sugar levels increase because of the excess glucose within the body. Cantaloupes have high-water content that helps flush out or secrete extra sugar and maintain blood glucose levels.
- It maintains a healthy body weight – Obesity is one of the common causes of type 2 diabetes. The presence of fiber in cantaloupes slows down the digestion process, enabling a person to feel full quickly. This process prevents obesity.
- It improves heart health – Consuming cantaloupes lessens your chances of developing heart-related conditions. This fruit is high in potassium, choline, and fiber. These nutrients are necessary for having good heart health. As individuals with varying blood sugar levels are at risk of having heart diseases, adding cantaloupes to your daily diet is essential.
- It prevents high blood pressure – The uncontrolled accumulation of glucose in the bloodstream causes high blood pressure. This condition can damage blood vessels and other organs. Fortunately, cantaloupes are high in potassium and low in sodium. Any food with high potassium levels and low sodium content prevents the development of high blood pressure.
Despite the many benefits and advantages of cantaloupes, you need to eat them in moderation. If you add them to your diet, always count the number of carbs you take. Record your daily calorie as they can significantly affect your blood sugar. As always, discuss your plans of adding cantaloupes to your daily diet with your dietitian or healthcare professional.
Soliqua Solostar Pens 100u/33mcg/ml 5x3ml$290.99
Toujeo Doublestar/Solostar Prefilled Pen$139.99 – $229.99
Glucagon Emergency Kit 1mg$137.61
Xultophy Prefilled Pen 100 mg/3.6 mL$324.00
Levemir FlexTouch Pens 100 Units / mL$210.63
Levemir PenFill Cartridges 100 Units / mL$202.43
Novorapid (Novolog) Penfill Cartridges 100 Units / mL$132.39
Novorapid (Novolog) FlexTouch Pens 5 x 3mL$137.11
NovoRapid (NovoLog) 100 Units / mL Vials$80.91