How to use Basaglar Kwikpen? The Basaglar KwikPen is a form of insulin treatment used on pediatric patients with type 1 diabetes and adult patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. It contains long-acting insulin, which starts working a few hours after administering the injection.
Before starting your treatment with Basaglar KwikPen, it is necessary to learn which body parts are ideal for administering the injection shots. Use this product exactly as directed by the healthcare professional. It is also required to read the labels, as it contains the proper steps to use and administer this treatment.
Where should you inject Basaglar KwikPen?
Inject Basaglar KwikPen into the deltoid, thigh, or abdominal area. Do not inject Basaglar KwikPen in the same spot twice or consecutively to avoid lipodystrophy (uneven distribution of body fat).
Here are the detailed step-by-step directions on how to use Basaglar KwikPen:
1. Remove the cap from the pen.
2. Using your alcohol wipe, rub the upper part of the pen where the needle needs to be placed.
3. Remove the protective tab from the pen needle.
4. Place the needle into the end of the pen and turn it clockwise to tighten it.
5. For safety check, dial the dose indicator to “2” units to ensure no air inside the system.
6. Next, remove the outer needle cap and save it for later.
7. Remove the inner needle cap and throw it away.
8. Push the dose knob in until you see “0” units. This time, you should see insulin after slowly counting to five.
9. Select the dose that your healthcare professional prescribes you.
10. Inject the pen either in your abdomen, thigh, or deltoid.
11. After inserting the needle into your skin, push the dose knob until it stops. When the pen indicates “0”, you have already received your dose.
12. Remove the needle from your skin and cover it with the outer needle cap.
13. Remove the needle with the cap on and dispose of it.
14. Replace the pen with a new cap.
How long does Basaglar last?
After injecting it can start working for several hours and keep working evenly for one day. Since Basaglar KwikPen is a long-acting insulin, it takes the most extended amount of time to start functioning within the body. Basaglar KwikPen doesn’t peak, but they can control blood sugar for up to 24 hours.
The side effects of Basaglar KwikPen include hypoglycemia, hollowing/thickening of the skin, mild skin rash, and itching. These are only mild, so you can manage them at home.
Like other diabetes medications, you must follow this treatment with the right diet, proper weight control, eye and foot care, and regular exercise. While on your treatment with Basaglar, you will need frequent blood glucose tests to monitor your condition and set precautionary measures to prevent the development of a more complicated diabetes condition.